Friday 18 October 2013

Dad

Four years ago my Dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's, a degenerative disease caused by a shortage of dopamine in the brain. It reduces muscle functionality and early symptoms include tremors and slowness of movement. As the disease progresses it commonly causes depression and dementia. Most cases occur in people older than fifty but my Dad was only 48 when he was told he had Parkinson's.

This has had a big impact on my life as it has meant I've taken on a lot more responsibility around the house, helping out with chores and looking after my family. It's given me lots of independence and experience in dealing with complex and mature situations. It has been very hard for me, watching my Dad changing and becoming more withdrawn and I know it's only going to get worse. I am trying to take every opportunity to spend as much time as possible with him while I still can. Football is a great way to do this because it's the main thing we have in common. We go to watch Hull City together and it's the only time I feel that I really connect with Dad.

This summer I will be running in the Leeds 10k to raise awareness of Parkinson's and to raise money for Parkinson's UK to help them search for a cure. I'll talk more about this next week though.

That's all for this week, see you later

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment