Friday 17 January 2014

PSHCE Day

This week at school we had a PSHCE day. If you don't know what that is I'll explain it for you. It's a day off timetable where you learn all about car maintenance and law and government and budgeting and waste six hours of your life. I don't know whether you can tell but I hate these days. My theory is that their only purpose within the school year is to make everyone realise how much they prefer normal school days in the hope that they'll stop wingeing about them for a week or two.

Now I'm in the sixth form I don't have full days of lessons anymore; I would have only had two lessons on Wednesday meaning I could go home early and get some work done, but Wednesday was a PSHCE day... So I had a full day of school. After spending a year and a third rarely having a day with all five lessons, I suddenly had one, and not just relaxing lessons, we built flat pack furniture and checked oil in cars and did budgets and listened to people talk about university finance. That may not sound that hard but it was a shock to the system; I was practically falling asleep on the walk home from school, not from boredom (although that was a factor) but from pure exhaustion.

I didn't even learn anything new, apart from the car stuff, which I won't need for another four years anyway. I wouldn't have minded if we had spent a day off schedule and we'd learnt useful things like how to get stains out of things or how to make technology work. Things that might actually be useful when we go off to university (other life paths are available). Instead we spent our time reading instruction books, putting numbers in spreadsheets and looking at engines, thrilling.

See you all next week,

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment