Sunday 8 December 2013

December!

Hi everyone, first of all I'd like to apologise for the lack of a blog last week. I had a very busy week and didn't have time to write a post. This week is the first week of December, which means it's nearly Christmas. I was talking to my Dad about Christmas and his opinion particularly amused me so I thought I'd put it in a blog:

What's happened to Christmas?

It wasn't that many years ago, that you could always rely on Christmas for hundreds of festive pop songs and something decent to watch on the telly, apart from the holiday adverts. The first hint that Christmas was on its way would be when the first carol singers used to arrive on your doorstep on the 1st of December, blissfully ignorant of the carol or song they were murdering. The canny ones even saved expending energy by not bothering to sing until you opened the door.

And then was the traditional Boxing Day sales that actually started on Boxing Day with people queueing outside over night to ensure they got  "their bargain" and it had all been worth it after all. Today every day is a sale day in at least one shop somewhere - the pre (pre...) Christmas sale, you get the idea.

Nowadays the run up to Christmas starts earlier and earlier. This year the first Christmas items appeared in the shops in September, just as they were also starting to replace their autumn / winter ranges with their spring / summer collections.

No matter how often you wish for a white Christmas, you can pretty much guarantee that it will be grim, dull and completely snowless, unless you live in Scotland or on top of a big hill.

They might as well just rename Autumn, Christmas! Or does that just provide the opportunity for Christmas to keep creeping forward until Wizzard do get their wish and it really is Christmas every day.

That was what my Dad had to say on the subject of Christmas. I hope you enjoyed it, and I'll see all next week for some more festive fun!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment